Friday, July 4, 2008

Washington Bar Exam - A Few Thoughts

Right now, I should probably be cranking out some practice essays for the California Bar Exam, but with the Washington Bar Exam fast approaching, I thought I'd take the time to jot down some of my thoughts on the Washington Bar Exam and to provide a little advice to those takers of the Washington Bar Exam in 2008. Of course, this is just my perspective and like any advice from previous takers really doesn't mean a whole lot, but might be somewhat helpful...

SOME THINGS TO REALIZE AS YOU STUDY:
1. You will likely pass. The Washington Bar Exam pass rate is extremely high. (I am jealous of those of you who are taking the Washington Bar because the California Bar pass rate is not very high... as low as 39% some years...). The Washington Bar Exam pass rate is usually somewhere around 70%. That is high. However, the high pass rate does NOT mean that the bar exam is easy. See #2 below.

2. The Washington bar exam is not easy. Although the pass rate is high, the test itself is not easy. When I walked out of the Washington Bar exam, I remember thinking "that was really, insanely hard." I also remember thinking that I would never, ever criticize anyone I knew who didn't pass, even if I did, because it was so difficult for me. Why is it difficult? See # 3 and # 4 below.

3. The Washington bar exam is a test of SHEER MEMORIZATION. The Washington Bar Exam tests for your ability to issue spot and remember rules. Although some analysis is involved, very little is likely needed to pass. Primarily, you need to be able to recognize all issues in an essay and write the correct rule for that essay. The way to learn how to do this is to practice essay writing. Write as many essays as you possibly can and make sure you review the model answer, comparing it to yours. Incorporate new rules into your checklists/ flashcards/ study tools. Write rules over and over and over again.

4. The Washington bar exam is a test of ENDURANCE. For me, the endurance factor was the most difficult part of the exam. When I studied, I would frequently take breaks to check my email or walk around the law library and chat with a friend. I did this whenever I felt like I needed to. Obviously, during the exam, I did not have this luxury. The Washington Bar Exam is 2 and a half days of solid essay writing. It is rigorous and exhausting. Breaks are allowed, but they do not feel like breaks because of the testing conditions and they obviously cannot be taken when you feel like it.

5. Follow the BAR-BRI Paced Program. During the self-study time after the Bar-Bri classes end, do NOT devise your own method for studying for the exam. BarBri will have you dedicate an ENTIRE day to ONE subject (maybe TWO) during that self-study time. It is natural to want to "mix-it-up." For example, you may think it's a good idea to do a couple of contracts essays, then a UCC 9 essay, then a torts essay in one day. You will think this will keep your mind fresh. If YOU ARE THINKING THIS, YOU ARE WRONG. You will remember the day that you studied for a particular subject during the exam. It is the repetition of doing so many essays on one subject in a row that will save you during the exam. I knew some people who did not follow the Bar-Bri Paced Program and created their own study schedule, whereby they did all the same work, but in a different order. Most of them did not do very well on the exam.

SOME THOUGHTS ON THE ACTUAL TESTING DAYS:
6. Write an essay and try to forget it. During the exam, it will be easy to dwell on the previous questions. Don't do this. Focus solely on the essay that is before you and do not think about ones you have written.

7. Wear LAYERS. The testing center was FREEZING last year. I remember one of my guy friends wore a short-sleeved t-shirt and was making jokes about how he was shivering at the end of exam. Someone else bought a sweatshirt in her hotel giftshop because she didn't pack one. It's cold in there... dress appropriately.

8. Don't make a run for it. During last year's exam, at some point on the second day, after I had written about 12 essays, I spent about 3 minutes seriously pondering the idea of getting up and walking out of the exam. Honest. Eventhough I was nearly done, I remember looking at the door and envisioning myself walking through it and never coming back. Of course, I didn't leave and I finished the exam, and fortunately passed. Even if you have very serious thoughts of leaving or you have convinced yourself that you have failed, you probably haven't failed, and you should stay and finish.

Again, I'm not the voice of experience on the Washington Bar Exam, but I just wanted to share some of my thoughts with you. Good luck! (Also my checklist outlines are located at blawgirls.googlepages.com or click the button on the left that says Student Resources).






4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You aren't very bright if you think the bar exam is difficult. Sorry. I've passed two without much effort.

Anonymous said...

To the arrogant a**hole above me...we are soo proud of you!! Im sure you have very impressive business cards too!

Anonymous said...

This site is helpful for someone stressed about taking the bar exam for the first time(hopefully last too). The ridiculous first comment is unfortunately typical of some law students-- thinking very highly of themselves and their mental capabilities while at the same time being completely void of class or social skills.
Anyway, thanks for the thoughts and resources. Good luck in CA!

Anonymous said...

great outlines! i used them , tweaked them, and used them again and feel they helped me tremendously as I prepped myself for this July's exam. Thanks again! Now I'll just cross my fingers and hope for the best