Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Twice the Fun?

So I'm doing it again and I simply cannot believe it.

Last summer, I blindly maneuvered my way through the Washington State Bar Exam. With nearly all of the other graduates of my 2007 law school class, I sat through ridiculously long lectures courtesy of Bar-Bri, painstakingly perfected my checklists (see link for study resources on the side of this blog ), and wrote about 612 essays (Washington is an all essay bar exam) to prepare for the two-and-a-half-days that I can only describe as the worst experience of my life: the bar exam.

To my great dismay and delight, I passed. BUT, I'm doing it again.

That's right, for the second time, I'm subjecting myself to those same Bar-Bri lectures, maniacally completing those checklists, and taking countless practice exams under "timed testing conditions." WHY, you ask? How could I possibly CHOOSE to make this decision again?

Well, I really didn't have much of a choice. I moved. To California. Where there is no reciprocity.

So here I am again. Preparing for a test that I thought I failed last summer but didn't. Making my mind go to work in ways I completely forgot it could. Trying to remember that at common law, burglary only occurred at night. Downing way too much red bull. Consuming copious amounts of sugar. And sporadically (sometimes hysterically) crying over a mortgage. (Not mine... the one on Blackacre).

I'm in the fortunate position of having passed a bar exam, but the unfortunate position of not knowing if I can be lucky enough to pass it twice. In the meantime, hand me a twinkie and a grande latte, because luck isn't going to get me everywhere and I've got some serious work to do.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you're very brave. I admire you for having the courage to do it all over again, and for sharing your experience of doing it all over again with all of us.

Anonymous said...

Hey K, when you're studying evidence, how incredibly grateful are you for having done mock trial....

Shannon said...

I'm sending good luck waves your way!!! xoxox

Anonymous said...

You are now starting to think... 'journalism isn't so bad afterall... I've got the looks and it certainly requires less studying...' Good luck this month, I know you can do it!
-Your Friend "the journalist"